Repeat after me:
It’s not – and never again will be – about getting new members.
- An historic Mother Church is counting down to a terrible anniversary in forty days.
- KFC’s biggest sales day is – not kidding about this – Mothers’ Day. Lots of moms got buckets of chicken yesterday.
- Denise Anderson and I will be visiting The Mother Ship in Louisville in a couple weeks to prepare for our stand as Co-Moderator of the PCUSA.
As I meet with church leaders and am asked how to get young families to join the church time and time again, I realize that The Mother of All Church Culture Shifts is this one: It’s not and never again will be about getting new members.
As always, the question is “why?”
- Why are we offering a Bible study in the back room of a bar on Wednesday nights?
- Why are we starting a new worship service on Sunday nights?
- Why are we feeding homeless adults on Friday nights?
- Why are we opening a pre-school?
It’s not about getting people to join our churches. It’s about making disciples. It’s about serving the community. It’s about loving our neighbors. It’s about loving God.
It’s never, ever again about building the membership and subsequently adding to our coffers and subsequently helping our congregations survive. Jesus didn’t die to perpetuate an institution.
Old message. Saying it one more time. Thanks for reading.
Image of a church sign seen on vacation a few years ago. Never let anyone put this message on your church sign.