I can’t get this article out of my mind.
Thoughts on virginity:
- it’s good to wait for love before leaping into an intimate relationship
- because of loneliness, violence, or countless other reasons most people are not virgins when/if they marry
- a person is not eternally tainted if he/she is unmarried but not a virgin
- virginity is an idol for some of us
- followers of Jesus are called to be counter-cultural (we don’t have to be intimate with each other just because everyone else is having sex)
- sexuality is a normal part of life like eating and sleeping
- please don’t get married so that you can have sex
- people are precious not just for our naked bodies but also for our naked brains and our naked souls (i.e. don’t casually play with my mind or my heart either)
- I don’t really care if Mary was a virgin. My faith is not based on this.
- I don’t really care if Jesus was a virgin. My faith is not based on this. (But I would imagine there is a really good reason/story behind this if he wasn’t.)
- God treasures people like Sarah Bessey. Either we believe in redemption and forgiveness or we don’t.
You pastors out there: any guesses on how many weddings you have officiated for couples who were virgins? (Either one or both of them.)