On the cusp of my vacation, I’m pondering how to get unstuck. What helps in inspiring/forcing a decision for people and institutions?
- Take a vacation. (Thanks be to God.)
- See a spiritual director or therapist. Be honest with them.
- Yell until somebody hears you. (The Psalmist suggests starting with God.)
- Take a sabbath – from meetings, from the usual worship/Vacation Bible School/Sunday School routine.
- Wait until a crisis occurs. (The roof literally caves in, the pastor dies, the bank account runs dry, the renters bolt.)
- Choose to make it not about you. (New perspective: what does the neighborhood need?)
- Pray. (See # 3 under Individuals.) And then do what God is moving you to do.
Moving, listening, choosing, praying, yelling – all good ideas for getting unstuck. But deciding to do nothing is also a decision, of course. And sadly, this is what we decide to do too often.